When choosing an industrial connector, the brand name should be one of the key factors to consider. If you are looking for a high-performance connector for a demanding application, choosing a product from a reputable manufacturer can be one of the easiest ways of ensuring that the connector will offer the reliable quality you require.
At Northern Connectors, we work with some of the top manufacturers in the industry for this very reason. We know how important it is for our customers to be able to depend on the rugged performance and technical proficiency of their connectors, which is why we stock tried-and-tested products from the industry’s most trusted brands.
One of our most important brand partners is HUMMEL, one of the world leaders in industrial connector technology. Here, we have teamed up with our partners HUMMEL to provide an introduction to the brand, as well as an insight into the key reasons why we have been recommending HUMMEL products to our customers with such confidence for many years.
HUMMEL: an introduction
With a broad portfolio of versatile circular connectors, cable glands and protection solutions, HUMMEL has been in business for more than 70 years, and has developed a strong reputation for the quality, innovation and technical sophistication of its solutions.
The independent medium-sized German manufacturer is directly responsible for all aspects of its product creation process from start to finish, from development, design, toolmaking to production, electroplating and assembly. This ensures the company is able to maintain exactingly high standards for every product that bears the HUMMEL brand name.
HUMMEL products are widely used by businesses in a number of sectors, including:
- Automation and drive technology
- Chemistry and pharmaceuticals
- Food and beverage technology
- Oil, gas and energy
- Sensor design
By exploring our full range of HUMMEL products at Northern Connectors, you will be able to find a connector solution that meets the needs of your specific application.
The key advantages of HUMMEL connectors
Although the specific configurations of each HUMMEL product will vary depending on its design and purpose, there are a few core qualities upon which customers can always depend when choosing a HUMMEL connector.
No matter which HUMMEL connector you choose, you will always be guaranteed a premium product of the highest quality, through the uncompromising use of the best materials and robust design. Key features of the HUMMEL range include:
- Robust design
- Mechanical protection of the contact inserts
- No protruding plastic inserts
- Good processability
- Time saving in connector assembly
- Potential separated shields for Ethernet
- Universal approvals
Meeting all industry requirements
All HUMMEL connectors are designed to meet the highest demands of industrial applications, including:
- IP67 & IP69K protection against water and dust ingress
- High resistance to vibration
- 360° shield connection, guaranteeing reliable EMC protection
- DIN EN ISO 9001 and ISO 50001 certification, guaranteeing consistently high production quality, flexibility and innovation standards
- Compliant with a multitude of certificates used in various industries and world markets, including UL, UR, VDE, EHEDG, CSA, EAC, IECEx, Ex, CE, KEMA, ABS, railroad approval, DNV and Germanischer Lloyd
In these ways, you can be assured that every HUMMEL product you purchase has had its qualities proven and internationally certified.
Modular design for maximum flexibility
The compact designs of HUMMEL’s circular connectors are designed to guarantee high power transmission in the smallest of spaces. When combined with their simple assembly and the excellent electrical properties of the components, this has allowed HUMMEL to incorporate modular design principles into its connectors, greatly increasing their flexibility.
This offers the following benefits:
- Interchangeability of male or female inserts in most housing designs
- Consistent modularity across the entire HUMMEL range, allowing different products to be used in conjunction with each other
- Maximum contact reliability through SLS (Spring-Loaded Socket) technology
- Assembly and shielding connections in one operation
- ‘Daisy chain’-style cascadable cabling through interchangeable inserts for the M16 and M23 series
- Optional stainless steel shells
Suitable for various applications
HUMMEL has been a trusted supplier to well-known OEMs from a wide variety of markets and industries for decades, thanks to a mature product range that includes options for even the most extreme requirements. These include:
- Explosion protection (compliant with ATEX, FM, CSA and IEC standards)
- Insulation against water ingress, vibration, strain and impacts
- Suitable for a broad temperature range
- Long service life without the need for maintenance
Additionally, the enormous breadth of HUMMEL’s cable gland portfolio makes them suitable for a huge array of challenges, with options including:
- Cable glands made of plastic, brass & stainless steel from M6 to M110
- Metric, PG and NPT threaded options
- Hazardous area products
- EMC products
- Chemical-resistant products
- Cable protection systems
- Customer-specific parts
A constant pipeline of new innovations
HUMMEL is continually refreshing and revising its product lines in close cooperation with their customers, resulting in new, innovative product features on a regular basis. This means HUMMEL’s connectors will continue to evolve in line with your changing needs, and advanced new offerings from this manufacturer are always emerging to cater for the latest requirements of your industry.
Find out more
You can browse Northern Connectors’ complete selection of HUMMEL connectors today to find the right solution for your sector. If you require further advice on the specific benefits that HUMMEL’s products can offer, or wish to receive support on selecting the best option for your application, Northern Connectors’ team of in-house technical experts can help.
Get in touch with us today with any questions you may have. Call us on 01744 815001, use our online chat or complete an enquiry form to request a call back.