Why are D-sub connectors so dependable?
Though it has a basic design, the humble D-sub connector has remained in use for decades because it does its job well.
This input/output electronic connector has been around since the 1950s, and despite the development of newer micro technologies, D-sub connectors have held their own corner of the growing market.
The D-shaped connector shields the contacts and makes it faster and easier to establish a secure connection to transfer data, as you can only insert the D-shaped housing one way.
Quite simply, D-subminiature connectors are still a go-to option due to their stable design with a more robust housing.
When you need a subminiature connector that is small enough to slot into a tight space, but strong enough to lock into place with resistance against vibrations and strain, D-sub connectors will always be a reliable choice.
D-subminiature accessories and housings
D-subminiature connectors are more versatile than many might think, available in a range of specifications – with varying sizes and quantities of contacts, different housing styles and termination types, and even multiple connection types in one shell.
For example, here at Northern Connectors, we supply a selection of D-sub connectors from the German manufacturer CONEC, including watertight versions:
- CONEC standard – 9-50 pin counts; IP20 rating
- CONEC high density – 15-78 pin counts; IP20 rating
- CONEC combination – 2-47 pin counts; IP20 rating (power, signal, and coaxial)
- CONEC waterproof standard – 9-50 pin counts; IP67 rating
- CONEC waterproof high density – 15-78 pin counts; IP67 rating
- CONEC waterproof combination – 2-47 pin counts; IP67 rating (power, signal, and coaxial)
Additionally, we are official distributors of HARTING D-sub connectors and accessories, which are typically available with 2-78 pin counts and IP20 to IP67 ratings.
Where a tougher backshell may be needed for additional connection security in a commercial or industrial environment, HARTING also offers D-sub accessories, including:
- Screw locking D-sub connector hoods – top entry or top and side entry, with knurled screws, short locking screws, male screw locks, or female screw locks with nuts
- Spring or slide locking D-sub connector hoods – metallised thermoplastic hoods with spring latches, slide locking devices, fixed latches, or locking bolts
These German-engineered cable connectors and hoods are excellent for setting up durable systems with a long-lasting technology that continues to stand the tests of time.
Where to find D-subminiature connectors
You are already in the right place to order high-quality D-sub connectors in the UK, as Northern Connectors is a leading stockist of all kinds of cable connectors and accessories from the best manufacturers in Europe.
Whatever requirements you may have for a D-subminiature connector, we are confident in our ability to help you find the right connectors and fittings for your specific application.
Find out more
If you want to know more about connector solutions or need guidance with selecting a suitable solution for your application, Northern Connectors is here to help.