Businesses that do not require the flexibility of a breakaway point provided by connector solutions can benefit from the adoption of cable glands, which provide a number of essential roles in the management of cable products.
In addition to our huge portfolio of industrial connectors, Northern Connectors is a proud supplier of cable protection solutions from HUMMEL. In this guide, we will put the spotlight on the cable gland solutions available from the German manufacturer, which has long been established as a global leader in industry connector technology.
What are cable glands used for?
Cable glands are designed to attach and secure the ends of a cable and the device it is connected to. These products can offer strain relief, as well as the ability to resist EMC interference and prevent ingress into the equipment.
These hardy products are usually utilised in harsh environments to repel outside contaminants, such as dust, dirt and fluids. Furthermore, cable glands are used to stop cables becoming twisted or pulled to ensure a secure connection and continual performance.
Glands tend to be used instead of connectors, but they can also be used in conjunction with each other on the same application, if there are areas within the setup where one would be more suited over the other.
HUMMEL cable protection solutions are regularly utilised for applications in the following sectors:
- Automation and drive technology
- Chemistry and pharmaceuticals
- Food and beverage technology
- Oil, gas and energy
- Sensor design
Why choose HUMMEL cable glands?
HUMMEL is an independent, family-owned manufacturer with a strong reputation for quality products. With innovation and technical development at the heart of the company, HUMMEL creates robust products that are suitable for use in a wide range of applications.
HUMMEL’s portfolio of cable glands are renowned for their high quality and ease of use. They have been optimised to deliver lasting performance in some of the most demanding environments.
Choosing the right cable gland
There are a wide variety of choices available when it comes to selecting the right cable gland for your requirements, rather than a single one-size-fits-all option. HUMMEL’s portfolio of cable glands is second to none, with a number of versions available to suit a range of applications.
When selecting a cable gland, there are a number of questions to ask that could help you to ensure you make the right decision:
- Will the product be used indoors or outdoors?
- What will the temperature be, and will this change?
- Is the surrounding area damp or dusty?
- Are gases or corrosive materials used close by?
- Will the product be situated in a safe industrial zone, or a hazardous or potentially explosive environment?
Below are the different types of HUMMEL cable glands available from Northern Connectors:
- Standard cable glands (HSK) - fulfil the highest demands of quality and security using high-grade materials, together with innovative technology. Available in a range of thread types, including Metric and PG, with up to IP69K environmental sealing for use in harsh environments.
- EMC Cable Glands (HSK - EMC) - can be used in the harshest environments while offering shielding against electromagnetic interference. They are available in a range of thread types, including metric and PG.
- Hygienic Design Stainless Steel Cable Glands - ideal for use in areas where deposits of bacteria and microorganisms need to be avoided. The hygienic cable glands are made of high-quality stainless steel and have membranes of silicone. The range is capable of high-pressure cleaning with ingress protection up to IP69K, and can be used in temperatures ranging from -40°C to +120°C.
- HUMMEL Special Application Cable Glands (HSK-SPECIAL) - this range offers many variants, including hygienic versions for clean environments, multi-entry options for singular wires, and 90° snap elbows for tight spaces. Provides ingress protection of up to IP69K.
- VariaPro Rail Cable Glands - suitable for use on rail and transportation applications, this range has passed the DIN EN 45545-2 and 45545-3 fire protection standards, meaning they can be used without restriction on all trains within the European rail network.
- VariaPro Cable Glands for Special Applications - this range has a clear focus on demanding markets with particular challenges. There are currently four VariaPro ranges, designed for particular industry-specific requirements.
- Hazardous Area Industrial Cable Glands - designed for use in potentially explosive areas with non-armoured/reinforced cables, the Ex-e and Ex-d certified cable glands are available in brass, polyamide and stainless steel.
- Hazardous Area Cable Glands (EXIOS) - the Ex-d, Ex-e and/or Ex-ta certified cable glands have been designed for all explosion-proof areas which are in need of high standards, reliability, strain relief and waterproof requirements, e.g. the marine, offshore, gas conveying machinery, refineries and chemical industries.
How we can help
Northern Connectors has more than 35 years of industry experience and can help you to choose the ideal product for your specification. We are an ISO-9001-certified company, offering fast lead times and next-day delivery where possible.